Sam Summers Hut | Mt Crichton Scenic Reserve
Historic stacked stone gold miner’s hut built by two Summers brothers in 1930 and used during the Depression. Restored in the 1980s with the rotted timber floor replaced with flagstones, and the roof extended to make a wood store. The roof structure was replaced and the interior lined with plastic waterproofing sheeting.
Now no longer used as overnight accommodation due to the fire risk.
A peek back into the past including sacking bunks.
category . . . historic hut
hut fee . . . overnight accommodation no longer allowed
elevation . . . 480 m
bunks . . . 2 sacking beds
built . . . 1930, renovated 1980s
heating . . . none, (open fire blocked up despite chimney)
water . . . 30 m to stream
toilet . . . longdrop← Routeburn Flats Hut | Routeburn Track, Mt Aspiring National Park Shamrock Hut | Ahuriri Conservation Park →