Leaning Lodge | Rock and Pillar Conservation Area
The original hut was built in 1958 as a ski lodge, helped by a bulldozed road getting most of the way. A few years later, the Coronet Peak ski field proved more popular with skiers, and use declined sharply.
Eventually, it was taken over by a trust that rebuilt it. This work neglected to be done to the Building Code requirements of the time, and it is officially closed. Much of the materials will be used to build a complying hut immediately adjacent.
The door remains open, and it seems likely the new hut will take considerable time to be built.
category . . . The Leaning Lodge Trust hut
hut fee . . . hut is officially closed due to building safety concerns
elevation . . . 1220 m
bunks . . . 6 mattresses on bunks
built . . . 1958, extended and renovated in 2006
heating . . . wood burner
water . . . 30 m to rivulet
toilet . . . longdrop← Lake Mackenzie Hut | Routeburn Track, Fiordland National Park Macetown campsite | Macetown Historic Reserve, Motatapu Track →