Old Boulder Forks Hut, Leatham River area

The old Boulder Forks Hut dates from before 1938, which was the earliest graffiti noted on the walls, and was constructed from local beach saplings, with a corrugated steel roof and cladding. Dirt floor. Open fire place. No bunks, but the new hut is adjacent.

The timber joints to the borer infested structure are a thing of beauty for those who appreciate such craft. And on the timber sarking is a famous name, Ed Hillary together with three others dated June 1944.

+++++horizontal rule+++++

category . . . basic hut

hut fee . . . free

elevation . . . 640 m

bunks . . . none

built . . . pre 1938, (earliest graffiti)

heating . . . open fire

water . . . rivulet 20 m

toilet . . . longdrop, shared with new hut

← Barbers Hut, Leatham River area Boulder Forks Hut, Leatham River area →